Re[2]: [Preston] messing with wine

Matthew T. Atkinson preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Jan 8 21:22:00 2003

'ellow,

I've also been having issues with which Wine to use (if any); here are my
ramblings - hopefully they will help you out!

I have had a look at WineX and it seems OK but not many of the games I'd
want to play are not supported (the original Jedi Knight and Dungeon Keeper
2).  I'd always go for native Linux ports due to the performance increase
and the fact that it is really running in *Linux*.  I have the following
games working at the moment:

* Unreal/Unreal Tournament (UT for Linux can run Unreal with the 'OldSkool'
mod installed)
* Quake3/TA and any mods.  TA is awful but they were selling Q3A+TA (Q3
gold) for exactly the same price as Q3 on its own in Game.  So for the sake
of completeness I got both, lol.
* There are many more native Linux games available (thanks to Loki) such as
Rune, Descent 3, UT2k3, etc, etc.

I have an nVidia card so although I have to put up with non-GPL and somewhat
buggy at times drivers, things generally work.  I hear that ATI drivers are
good too (the community-made ones, I think).

VMWare will probably be no good at all for games (too slow) but I have never
tried it so I am unsure.  Also, it costs *a lot*.  Here
(http://bochs.sourceforge.net/) is a GPL x86 emulator.  Unfortunately it is
still under heavy development and may be hard to set up / use.  Might be
worth a read, however.

For more games that run natively, look at: http://www.tuxgamer.com/
For Linux games and WineX games go here: http://linuxgaming.net/
To buy Linux games (not tried this site - use at own risk :D):
http://www.tuxgames.com/

With regard to office software (something that has been a problem for me
lately) you might find OpenOffice.org (OOo) good enough but if not then
maybe Crossover Office (http://www.codeweavers.com/products/office/) will be
more helpful to you.  It has yet another version of Wine at its heart so I
don't think it will like WineX on the same machine.

If you can make your Linux box talk to the net you can use many IM platforms
(ICQ, AOL, MSN, Yahoo, etc) if you install Gaim or everybuddy.  You can also
try Ximian Evolution which is a bit like M$ Outlook (but *way* better, of
course :D).  (I mention evolution because you are using windows for e-mail,
like I do.  According to a site I found on the very rare/difficult subject
of mail conversion, you can use Mozilla for windows to help you move your
mail across to Linux if/when you want to.)

bye just now,

matthew

P.S. If you have Q3 or UT; I have written some bash shell scripts that make
it quite easy to set up and have a great program for installing UMODs
(http://ut.abfackeln.com/asu.html - you will need ASU 0.6  for UT).