[Preston] Framebuffer + Nvidia

dazzle68 preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jan 6 22:43:00 2003

Framebuffering allows direct access to the Video Adapter display frames. Its
very card specific however there is a 'generic' SVGA or VGA driver set.

It basically allows graphics to be displayed in a text page/frame mode. Much
like the old DOS MODE command - if you're not too young to remember that!!

Its useful for running apps that do not require X-Windows/TCP socket
connections, speeds the game up. You need to have the exact drivers built
into the kernel though.

For no gamers, the Framebuffering allows a nice boot logo to be displayed with
some very small text at boot-time - so as it doesn't fly up the screen in
'orrible 80x40 text mode!!!