[Preston] Framebuffer + Nvidia - Quake

Matthew T. Atkinson preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Jan 7 14:25:23 2003

Guy (or anyone else with any Quake+Linux experience),

I am wondering, seeing as you have got Quake II running in software
rendering, have you ever had any experience setting up Quake 1?  I have
tried but never got it to work.

I was using SVGALib Quake1 (i.e.. console mode gfx).  I did a setuid root on
the binary but then when I try to run it (as the instructions say "make it
setuid root and then run it") bash tells me that the 'command' no longer
exists!  I've tried running it as root and normal users.

I am desperate to get it working in Linux as winQuake can't do 44100KHz
audio and I want to carry on with the mod I'm working on in Linux (as I
intend to move to Linux entirely).

Also, have you compiled your QII from the source released by id?  I tired
with Q1 and it complained that I had versions of libraries that are too new!

Thanks for any help/info you might have, bye just now,

matthew

P.S. Are there any audio editors that can load/save WAV files in Linux (I
need this for Quake)?