[Preston] Framebuffer + Nvidia - Quake

Guy Heatley preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Jan 7 18:21:59 2003

On Tuesday 07 January 2003 2:22 pm, you wrote:
> Guy (or anyone else with any Quake+Linux experience),

Hello Matthew!

> I am wondering, seeing as you have got Quake II running in software
> rendering, have you ever had any experience setting up Quake 1?  I have
> tried but never got it to work.

Yes I have got it to work, but I have never managed to get anything other
than the shareware episode to install. I have the full version but to be
honest I haven't tried very hard to install the other levels. If it is
anything like Doom it will be a case of copying some .wad files off the Quake
CD-rom  into a specified directory.
I use Debian and installing it was pretty much as easy as:
# apt-get install quake-x11

> I was using SVGALib Quake1 (i.e.. console mode gfx).  I did a setuid root
> on the binary but then when I try to run it (as the instructions say "make
> it setuid root and then run it") bash tells me that the 'command' no longer
> exists!  I've tried running it as root and normal users.

To run quake I type 'quake-x11' as a normal user. It won't work as root. The
installing instructions told me NOT to setuid root because it was a security
risk (if I remember correctly).

> I am desperate to get it working in Linux as winQuake can't do 44100KHz
> audio and I want to carry on with the mod I'm working on in Linux (as I
> intend to move to Linux entirely).
>
> Also, have you compiled your QII from the source released by id?  I tired
> with Q1 and it complained that I had versions of libraries that are too
> new!

I didn't compile: Debian has binaries for the QII engine  (simply called
'quake2') and an installer program ('quake2-data') to install the levels from
the Windows CD-rom version.

> P.S. Are there any audio editors that can load/save WAV files in Linux (I
> need this for Quake)?

Here is the output from 'apt-cache show sound-recorder' (I have not tried
this prog BTW).
Package: sound-recorder
Section: sound
Installed-Size: 153
Maintainer: Bart Warmerdam <bartw@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 0.06-4
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.4-4), libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 (>= 1:2.95.4-0.010810)
Filename: pool/main/s/sound-recorder/sound-recorder_0.06-4_i386.deb
Size: 58602
MD5sum: cde9a3a7ac627f22ca378281f50d77f8
 sound-recorder is a direct-to-disk recording program. It uses the recording
 input from the mixer on your soundcard and records it to a file
 .
 cdsound-recorder is an enhancement to sound-recorder which makes it easy to
 record tracks or samples from a cdrom to a file.
 .
 With the play-sample program you can play the recorded audio or play all
 other non-compressed and compressed wave-files.

Hope this helps
- --
Guy

This message is signed using Gnu Privacy Guard!
Why? - Because I can.

Download my GPG public key from:
http://www.keyserver.net