[Preston] A Mystery Solved (I think)! (Why Debian does not have xinetd)

Matthew T. Atkinson preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri May 16 20:05:00 2003

'ellow,

Just been learning the ways of the GPL and found this.  We all know that
stable Debian releases are famed for being out of date, but I know a few
people (myself included until now) that wonder why xinetd is not even in
sid yet.  I believe I have found the answer.  Its software licence is
incompatible with the GPL.

Here is what http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html had to say:

``This is a copyleft free software license, incompatible with the GPL.
It is incompatible because it places extra restrictions on
redistribution of modified versions that contradict the redistribution
requirements in the GPL.''

If you have not, I urge you to read GNU's pages about the GPL, LGPL and
other licences (http://www.fsf.org/copyleft/ is a good place to start,
IMHO).  I didn't imagine I would, but I have found them very interesting
and can't wait until I have something to releases under them!

bye just now,

--
Matthew T. Atkinson <tylee@ukgateway.net>