Quake 1 (was [Preston] Are we ubergeeks?)

Matthew T. Atkinson preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun May 18 13:02:00 2003

'ellow,

On Wed, 2003-04-16 at 22:04, Richard Revis wrote:
> On a somewhat related note, (entertainment wise) does anyone have Quake 1
> running on Linux? I have been trying it and cant persuade it to run, which
> may be something to do with it being compiled against a 2.0 series kernel.

I had been struggling for months to get Quake 1 to run on my box.  First
I tried compiling the GPL'd source (as this had worked fine when I used
windwos) and then I tried the binaries.  Neither worked.  After a very
long time Googling, I found a post that said the reason why Quake's
executable comes back with "command not found" is that the executable
file format changed and the loader doesn't 'see' it any more!

I remember posting a while back about this but nobody knew anything that
could help at the time.  However, I have good news for you as there is a
project called QuakeForge that maintains an up-to-date version of the
GPL'd Quake code.  The engine has some enhancements, but if you use it
with the original Quake data you get the original Quake experience (oh
dear, I sound like M$ :D).

Point your browser at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/quake

For some reason their "Home Page" doesn't work, but you can still get
the latest release from sourceforge.

Hope this is of use to you...

bye just now,

--