[Preston] Re: Booting up Mandrake 9.2

entwisi entwisi at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Feb 12 16:44:45 GMT 2004

To start the GUI you need to start what is called your X server.

The simplest way of doing this is 'startx' This will start an X server
process. What you also need is called a Window manager. You should have
at least one installed by default. Popular ones you may have heard of
are KDE, Gnome and IceWM although there are loads more to choose from.
By default MDK will automatically start KDE but can specify another when
starting X like this. 'startx gnome'

In order to make all this happen automatically you can set the init
value. Your system is currently set to use a runlevel of 3 which is
basically full network availability but no gui. runlevel 5 includes a
GUI

When you are starting the X server any errors are logged to
/var/log/XF86-Config-4.log ( or something very similar) If there are two
similar log files you can tell which is the latest by using ls -lrt
which will show the latest files at the bottom of the list.

If X fails to start post up the above log file so we can see what has
failed.

Ian