[Preston] question

Phil Robinson phil.robinson at cromwellgames.co.uk
Sat Dec 10 10:55:33 GMT 2005

Yeah this is true Guy, I have knoppix as a hard disk install and it still
does the autodetection on boot, although you can turn it off, I leave it on
as it's in a test machine that I constantly change the hardware in. :-)

I think the kernel panic will be from the vast amount on smaller bits of
hardware that build up your motherboard, the OS to a certain degree would
need to be aware of things like PCI bus, DMA, SCSI etc. With today's trend
of sticking everything possible into the motherboard the chances of any OS
not reacting badly when you change it is slim.

Let's us know how it goes if you decide to try it,

Phil