[Preston] linux server

B McLellan bob.mclellan at gmail.com
Sun May 3 12:00:01 UTC 2009

Richard,

You can install the server components to a standard distribution with
a GUI. If you are new to Linux Ubuntu is probably a good distro to
start with as it has a lively support community. From a standard
ubuntu install just use the synaptic package manager to install
Apache, MySQL and PHP.
If you also want to avoid having to manually edit text config files
you will probably want to install Webmin too. This will allow you to
configure Apache etc, via a webpage.
Most people don't bother with the GUI on web server for performance
reasons but I've seen people ask this question a lot. The usual
response is along the lines of 'why bother, just get used to the
command line!' and I suspect at some point you will have to drop to a
terminal to configure certain things. But with more GUI-centric
distros like ubuntu you should be able to most things with the mouse.
Hope this helps.

Bob