[Ryedale] Deaf Lug

Al Girling al at gcguk.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 17 12:07:09 GMT 2007

Hi Fintan,

Fintan Gaughan wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Need some advice here.
> I am about to start a Deaf Lug and reason for that is I get lots of
> emails regarding Linux.
> So I thought I d set up one although I do say go to your local lug
> they help/won't bite etc.
> You're thinking why another lug...
> Deaf people who brought up in BSL (British Sign Language) so English
> is not our first language. So if he/she posts on here people might
> think someone a foreign and speaks a little English and helpfully
> point them to another lug. I have seen that happen a few times on
> forums (not on this mailing list).

I think this is a good idea.  I know you've received a fair bit of
positive feedback from YLUG and would like to say that I'm happy to give
any help or pointers you might require.

As the good folks at YLUG said, don't worry about the nay sayers.  These
types rarely do anything constructive themselves and you shouldn't be
put off attempting this yourself.

Another point raised was the possible worry of fragmentation on both the
Deaf and Linux groups, but I think that you're more likely to get a good
national group of deaf Linux users discussing their specific need but
attending a local LUGs meetings for general Linux questions.  I imagine
this is how the Armed Forces LUG and Autistic LUG, among others,
function.

If you go to http://www.lug.org.uk/ and start the process of creating
your LUG, am I right in thinking you're already subscribed to the
Lugmasters list?  If not, then I would do so.  I'm sure you've already
had a fiddle and have some sort of website planned which you should put
into place as quickly as possible.  Those holding pages are really
off putting for people searching for new folks.  Have you got a small
band of deaf Linux users, however small, to get the ball rolling as I
found any support welcome in setting up Ryedale LUG.

So, all the best with it and I'll look forward to seeing your name join
the list of lugmasters!  As soon as it's going I'll be happy to add a
link from our site.

Toodle pip,

Al Girling

Home page:                  <http://al.sdf-eu.org>