[Ryedale] More thought on this months meet

Al Girling al at gcguk.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 19 11:21:37 UTC 2010

Hi folks,

I've just completed updating the web site with the details of the last
meeting and adding the date for the next.

Some of the things talked about merit further discussion here so here
goes.

GnuPG:  Several of us use this for a variety of reasons, but it was
raised as being an efficient way of improving your e-mail security.  Key
signing is an integral part of GnuPG to create the Web Of Trust (WOT).
It also makes for a good excuse to meet up with neighbouring LUGs.  I've
organised joint meets with both Scarborough and York LUGs in the past
with variable success, it might be time to try again with perhaps Hull,
Beverley and possibly others.  I think Phillip from Beveley still reads
this list so he might be able to broach the subject there.

Open Street Map:  Neil and I are both quite keen mappers for this
project, though I haven't made many improvements to the database for a
while.  Ryedale has a number of areas with little or no data,
Kirbymoorside and Helmsley are both very sparse.  As the weather
improves getting together for some mapping sessions might make a
pleasant way of getting together for a change and tie in with moving the
meeting venue around a little too.

Summer picnic:  I made the suggestion that we get together in the summer
for a picnic.  A possible venue being Orchard Fields in Old Malton,
though that's only a suggestion and could be ruled out if a visit
reveals it as a place used only by locals to empty their dogs!

These are just a few ideas, but if you have any thoughts, please feel
free to share them.

Toodle pip,

Alistair Girling

Home-page:                      <http://al.sdf-eu.org>
Currently offline while we await the arrival of lemon
soaked paper napkins!