[Ryedale] More thought on this months meet

DaveySpeedstar.com dave at daveyspeedstar.com
Fri Feb 19 14:14:26 UTC 2010

On 19 February 2010 12:15, Al Girling <al at gcguk.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Facebook:  I realise this will appear to flying in the face of the
> earlier 'reducing your internet presence' piece, but several of us here
> use Facebook and have signed up as friends.  While this wasn't discussed
> at the meeting, I have been wondering if it might be worthwhile setting
> up a LUG page within Facebook to give the group better publicity.

Hull LUG has a FaceBook page, and it rarely (if ever) gets updated, as
a result no updates = no traffic.  Of course if it was updated then
things might be difficult, however it's another job tht has to be
done/forgotten about, and FBook isn't the most user-friendly format to
work with.

However we use Identica and Twitter quite effectively.
http://hulllug.org is built on WordPress, and there are plugins which
alow for automatic identica and Twitter updates whenever the main site
is updated.  In addition it's realtively easy to update the Twittter
feed as things evolve on the forums.

>It was because of the distances involved that I thought something like a
>keysigning might make more of an event rather than just coming over for
>a pint and a yarn.

We were thinking of putting a bit of an event together sometime this
year, A couple of us had an idea of putting together some sort of
event to bring together Linux and FlOSS people from around the region
- and the Key Signing seems an ideal sort of thing that could be done
there.

Your your mapping experiences would be interesting to hear about - I
heard Andy Robinson of OpenStreetmap.org talk about it at LugRadioLive
last year, and some from Hull LUG went out the following day to map
bits of Wolverhampton as part of Oggcamp!

Dave

--
Dave Harding
Liaison Secretary - Hull LUG