[Sc] computer bits and _Jodrell meet_

Ian Molton sc at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Oct 8 11:34:00 2002

On Tue, 08 Oct 2002 10:26:36 +0100
"Richard Smedley" <richard.smedley@futurenet.co.uk> wrote:

> Ian Molton wrote:
>
> Hello Ian,
>
> Welcome to SC.LUG :-)

Ta ;)

> Yes, this sort of (potential) event at home keeps
> me from buying that rather nice AOpen valve motherboard :-/
>
> http://www.aopen.com/products/mb/ax4b-533tube.htm

Despite being a valve amp, theres no way it can sound decent whilst
being run inside the PC casing. AND you lose several PCI slots, and
degrade cooling (valves run hot!) in the machine...

Why not make a compromise, and build one of my Quad405-2a amplifiers?

I've  re-engineered the Quad405 design for:
Reduced noise
Better current characteristics
More modern components

Whilst at the same time, preserving the things that make it great.

I've not finalised the design - I need to build one first to test - but
when I do, I will publish it under the GPL.

Its a mono amp, so you'll need 2 of them, and a powersupply. I recon
that you could piece one together for about 150-200ukp.

You'd need a pre-amp of some sort too. Thats my next project ;-)

> > what website?
>
> www.sc.lug.org.uk
> (Quiet after a summer flurry)

Ta ;-)

> This autumn I can make (a few) Saturdays and Sundays only :-(
> However the vote seemed to be for Thursday, so maybe that's what
> you should go for?
>
> <small idea>
> Pick a day when you and the Jodrell Bank guy would
> /both/ like to come, announce that, gauge enthusiasm :-)
> </small idea>

How about it.

If you could avoid mon, wed, and fri, 9-5, It'd help, but really I can
go almost ANY time. over to you...