[SC.LUG] Hello! Latest Mandrake offering

robert sc at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Mar 18 07:16:01 2003

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, swfarrington@beeb.net wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Apologies for doing loads of lurking and generally hiding from view
> recently - as usual, the work/life balance (as it's apparently known)
> is anything but balanced at the moment!
>
> Just got my copy of PC Pro this weekend and noticed Mandrake 9 (3 CD
> issue) is included.  Has anyone tried it, and how does it compare
> (given that Mandrake seem to do things either very well, or highly
> rushed and not-so good). Mandrake seem to have this ability to hit the
> bull or miss the room holding the dart board entirely with little in
> between.

Let me comment on a few things here...

9.1 is imminent :-)
I installed 9.0 last month having acquired a new disk and for a bit had
both 8.2 and 9.0 in use. The 8.2 system had been upgraded from 8.0 via 8.1

/dev/hdb1             3.9G  2.0G  1.7G  55% /
/dev/hda5             2.9G  2.2G  629M  78% /mdk8.2

probably shows (that's 8.2 minus the docs that I moved onto /home)

I know you have it, but I installed without disk3 and probably regretted
it - useful things like anacron and the lib*-devel stuff that I had to go
hunting the internet for

I had initial (and have) problems with  sound but that may be because of
h/w problems and I don't use kde/gnome frequently but my impressions are
pretty favourable

booting seems a lot faster

some of the upgraded packages look pretty nice..

beware of what you've got in /usr/local if you're carrying it over

the display manager startup has been merged into init.d rather than inittab
- so I've still not got around to putting in wdm - too much time reflcting
on the 'right' way of doing it (disable starting gdm or subvert it to allow
a 3rd alternative)

Robert