[SC.LUG] Mandrake 9.0

Neil Lucock sc at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Mar 18 18:52:00 2003

just got my copy of PC Pro this weekend and noticed Mandrake 9 (3 CD
issue) is included.  Has anyone tried it, and how does it compare
(given that Mandrake seem to do things either very well, or highly
rushed and not-so good). Mandrake seem to have this ability to hit the
bull or miss the room holding the dart board entirely with little in
between.

It's generally okay, but there are a couple of things that could be bette=
r.=20
The address book for Kmail is now broken, it doesn't display the fields a=
s=20
you leave them (it bunches everything up so that you can't read it) and l=
ikes=20
to have around 10 blank lines at the top. It does now have a search facil=
ity.=20
The network configuration part of the Mandrake Control Centre doesn't get=
 it=20
right, but that might have been me trying to use a graphic interface inst=
ead=20
of trying to do it in  bash.=20
I think KDE 3 is slower to load than KDE 2, but I might be mistaken. The =
menus=20
have been improved, they are now very logical (compared to SuSE's menus o=
n=20
the other machines).=20
Automount sometimes throws its toys out of the pram. If you want to take =
a CD=20
out of the drive, you sometimes have to shut down Konqueror.=20
If you are happy with 8.2, stay there. 9.0 is okay (I still like Mandrake=
=20
enough to recommend it), but I think they missed the dartboard this time,=
=20
although it is in the right wall.=20
Neil

--=20
dixitque deus fiat linux et facta est linux