[SC.LUG] So, are RedHat ditching the home user market?

David Holden dh at iucr.org
Tue Nov 4 10:38:09 GMT 2003

On Monday 03 Nov 2003 5:16 pm, Mike Stuart wrote:
> Here is a question for the group.
>
> <ramble undertone="rant">
> Are RedHat ditching the home / small business user by dropping the boxed /
> download redhat distribution?

Quite simple yes, this has been gone over on the redhat lists. I gave the
redhat people an earful at the linux expo, a counter argument you hear is
that redhat needs to make a profit etc.. which is fine its just that they
went from $60/machine/per year to $190/machine/year and for the server to
$350/per machine/per year, so thats a 3-6 times cost increase in managing
redhat systems.

I hear someone mention choice, thats OK accept once you have gone down the
line of one distribution for you business changing distribution can be a lot
of work because they all do stuff slightly differently.

Frankly the way RedHat have ditched the small business/educational/non profit
sector is pretty poor.

Fedora is not a substitute because it puts you on a permanent upgrade path
every 3 months.

Personally I'm quite intrigued by Suns Java Desktop, saw a demo of it at linux
expo and it looked pretty cool for $100/year.

  Dave.

--
Dr. David Holden. (Systems Developer)
Crystallography Journals Online: <http://journals.iucr.org>