[SC.LUG] Bill Gates to be Knighted?

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Thu Jan 29 08:31:38 GMT 2004

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 00:45:00 +0000
"Rick [Kitty5]" <rick at kitty5.com> wrote:

> > For one thing, it turely is *silent* as well as being fairly fast.
>
> I think your definition of fast is similar to the definition of
> "Minimum requirement" as printed on PC Game boxes.

No.

Have you ever used an Iyonix?

It may not have the speediest CPU out there but the RISC OS stff
*flies*. EVERYTHING is so near instant it doesnt matter. Its FAR quicker
than my linux box here around the desktop, and my linux box is no
slouch.

Sure, for numbercrunching its slower but I havent seen it struggle at
any (normal) task really.

> > doesnt use an outmoded crippled instruction set either. It apeals to
> > those who like something well designed, not some cheap crap that
> > just goes fast at the expense of all else.
>
> You mean your actually prepared to pay for best 'designed' product you
> can find at the expense everything?

I dont have an Iyonix - I cant afford it. If I *could* I'd have one (and
instantly re-box it)

> > The IOP321 wasnt designed for PDAs. get your facts straight.
>
> Oh sorry, embedded devices / appliances!

*high speed* ones.

the IOP321 would be better at serving half a dozen netcards than ANY PC on the market.

> > so dont use an NV one. duh. that said the nvidia card used is also
> > silent.
>
> And I suppose you can get manufacturer supported drivers for other
> cards?

Has that ever been an issue on linux?

> They would have done better sticking a matrox card in.

I have to say Im baffled as to why they chose nv too.

> > > As for the lack of active/passive cooling - Another design side
> > > effect fobbed off as a feature, Woohoo!
> >
> > It *is* a feature.
>
> I am sure it makes putting up with the high price and low performance
> worthwhile.

it is not a low performance machine. Which you'd know if you ever sed one.

> > Yeah - it doesnt con you into thinking you can use two stick with
> > the IOP321. why would you expect two slots from a system that can
> > only have one?
>
> Like I said, design decision fobbed off as a feature.

I was being sarcastic.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are tasty and good with
ketchup.