[SC.LUG] Bill Gates to be Knighted?

Rick [Kitty5] rick at kitty5.com
Thu Jan 29 10:00:23 GMT 2004

Ian Molton wrote:
> Have you ever used an Iyonix?

No, but I have used RiscOS, for me its not a killer selling point in its own
right, more of a nessacary evil.

> It may not have the speediest CPU out there but the RISC OS stff
> *flies*. EVERYTHING is so near instant it doesnt matter. Its FAR
> quicker
> than my linux box here around the desktop, and my linux box is no
> slouch.

So aside from a snappy desktop, whats the point?

> Sure, for numbercrunching its slower but I havent seen it struggle at
> any (normal) task really.

I like the flexability your get when you have some kick in reserve.

Good example, my desktop is currently a Dual Athlon 2200 with 1 GB of ram
(with some hardware from my previous PC) cost me about the same as an Iyonix
base unit would. So you see my point, bang for buck its laughable.

Ok, so it wasnt exactly quiet so I spent some extra cash (and a lot of time)
watercooling & case modding it, when I eventually get everything that needs
cooling into the loop (just psu & vid card to go) I will have the entire PC
cooled by 2 12cm fans running at 5V (so virtually silent with very low temps
at full load)

>> And I suppose you can get manufacturer supported drivers for other
>> cards?
>
> Has that ever been an issue on linux?

Poop hardware support has been Linux's biggest issue! And by support I dont
just mean 'just' functional, I mean fully supported.

> it is not a low performance machine. Which you'd know if you ever sed
> one.

It is from where I am sitting, well, just to the right of where I am sitting
under the desk.

Rick

Kitty5 NewMedia http://Kitty5.com
POV-Ray News & Resources http://Povray.co.uk
TEL : +44 (01270) 501101 - ICQ : 15776037

PGP Public Key : http://pgp.kitty5.com