[SC.LUG] Bill Gates to be Knighted?

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Thu Jan 29 16:16:33 GMT 2004

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 09:57:35 -0000
"Rick [Kitty5]" <rick at kitty5.com> wrote:

> Ian Molton wrote:
> > Have you ever used an Iyonix?
>
> No,

Then you are not qualified to coment on it, or its speed.

> So aside from a snappy desktop, whats the point?

Some people would argue a snappy desktop is more important than raw
power. In an office, I'd rather be using a DTP program that loads in
less time than it takes to let go of the mouse button than open office,
which takes about 5 days to open on equivalent hardware.

> > Sure, for numbercrunching its slower but I havent seen it struggle
> > at any (normal) task really.
>
> I like the flexability your get when you have some kick in reserve.

Funny. My CPU is supposed to run at 1.53GHz. as its damaged it maxes out
at 900MHz but I have to say I honestly cant tell the difference but for
one task (compiling software, and even then its not much slower).

> Good example, my desktop is currently a Dual Athlon 2200 with 1 GB of
> ram(with some hardware from my previous PC) cost me about the same as
> an Iyonix base unit would. So you see my point, bang for buck its
> laughable.

Its not mass produced is it? ergo, price comparison meaningless.

> Ok, so it wasnt exactly quiet so I spent some extra cash (and a lot of
> time) watercooling & case modding it, when I eventually get everything
> that needs cooling into the loop (just psu & vid card to go) I will
> have the entire PC cooled by 2 12cm fans running at 5V (so virtually
> silent with very low temps at full load)

So to achieve your goal, you are increasing the change of a catastrophic
failure by adding water, increasing the weight a LOT, using a pump (and
if it fails you're gonna be in trouble) and you STILL havent beaten the
iyonix on noise reduction (and you're wasting even more energy running
AND cooling it).

Oh yeah, and if those 12cm fans are 12V rated, you are seriously
increasing their fail-to-start probablility by using 5V on them -
especially after they build up some dust, which they, invariably, will.

> > Has that ever been an issue on linux?
>
> Poop hardware support has been Linux's biggest issue! And by support I
> dont just mean 'just' functional, I mean fully supported.

Funny. My Shuttle XPC is FULLY supported by open drivers and its less
than 6 mos old. that includes its onboard NIC now too.

it had drivers for everything (admittedly not open) long ago.

X86-64 was supported before it existed.

Sure, some cheap-o noname CRAP hardware from bongo-bongo land isnt
supported, but most stuff is (except a few small things) and I certainly
havent had problems finding hardware to do the job.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are tasty and good with
ketchup.