[SC.LUG] Port 1765 & CFT

Andy Roffe aroffe at its-linux.co.uk
Tue Sep 21 10:11:09 BST 2004

Hi Damien,

Yep. Good stuff. We've been using aterisk for a year or two now and have
been developing services
on it for some customers. It's come a long way in the last year and
Digium's sponsorship is making
a big difference. The problem for asterisk (and it's alternatives) come
in when interfacing with existing
kit when a lot of lines are required (more than 15). Although it isn't
strictly speaking an asterisk problem, the cost
of E1 hardware starts to get expensive due to the need to speak with
other high end PBX kit.
And of course not all hardware is the same although it claims to be.

However, in a virgin site(s) asterisk rocks. You can build a very
complex and powerful PBX for a fraction
of the cost of , say, a Siemens HiPath 3700 which can cost anything up
to 100k. Asterisk equivilant would
be about 30k with support an greater flexibility. It can still be a bit
fiddly to setup but once running
bomb proof.

For a smallish business with 4 ISDN Bri NTBA's I'd still consider
alternatives though, due to cost.

Asterisk really wins out as a gateway between multiple branches over
vpn's. I do use the commercial
codecs though... $10 a pop but awesome quality and I'm easily reaching
the claimed 8k a call.

This would be a good subject for the LUG, I reckon - it'd take some
preparation and a big subject
for one meeting.

ANdy