[SC.LUG] JRA returns to Yorks [Fwd: [man-lug] Samba presentation in Sheffield]

Richard Smedley richard.smedley03 at ntlworld.com
Wed Sep 22 16:09:14 BST 2004

-----Forwarded Message-----
From: Dr A V Le Blanc <LeBlanc at mcc.ac.uk>
To: man-lug at lists.man.ac.uk
Subject: [man-lug] Samba presentation in Sheffield
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 09:33:53 +0100

Richard Ibbotson, organiser of the Sheffield Linux User Group, writes:

|  Our next meeting will take place on the afternoon of the 9th of
|  October at the St Georges Lecture Theatre 3, University of Sheffield,
|  Mappin Street.  There is seating for about 175 people.  Coffee and tea
|  is served at 13.30 and the presentation begins at 14.00.  Finish at
|  about 16.00 or whenever everyone stops asking questions.
|  Jeremy Allison Jeremy Allison will give a talk about Samba internals
|  and what we expect to see in the new release of Samba which we think
|  will be released some time next year.
|  If you have an interest in software production and you know very
|  little of Open Source and Free software then this is a great
|  opportunity to find out something about it.   Samba is the file
|  sharing software which allows seamless integration of heterogeneous
|  networks thus making Unix and Windows work together as though they
|  were just one network or computer.  It is one of the showcase projects
|  of the Open Source era.

|  Entrance will be through an online booking form.   Cost of the
|  presentation for participating individuals is nothing.  We would just
|  like to know who is coming along so that we don't over book the room.
|  Keep your eyes on this page for further information about booking for
|  this event.

The web page referred to as 'this page' is
http://www.sheflug.co.uk/meeting.html.

I (Owen Le Blanc) would like to add that Jeremy Allison is one of the
two programmers who between them wrote most of the code in Samba;
the other is Andrew Tridgell, who created Samba and its predecessor,
a client for the DEC Pathworks protocol; Jeremy and Andrew began
working together in 1993.  Jeremy has worked (among others) for Cygnus
and for VA Linux, and has now worked for Hewlett Packard for a while.
In the Samba project he handles release engineering and coordinates
development efforts, and also acts as a corporate liaison to companies
which use Samba code commercially.  He's a good speaker and knows what
he's talking about!

     -- Owen
     LeBlanc at mcc.ac.uk