[SC.LUG] Introduction

Russ Phillips russlug at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 28 15:38:35 GMT 2005

Hi,

Just thought I'd introduce myself, since I've not long since
subscribed to this list.

I'm Russ Phillips, and I'm married to Jen, who I believe is also on
this list. I first discovered Linux when I was a student, back in
1998. In my first year, we installed Slackware (can't remember the
version), and in subsequent years we installed SuSE and Mandrake.
While I was at uni, I used Windows, but played with Linux (although
the only permanent install was a Smoothwall GPL [1] box). When I
graduated in 2002, I moved to Carlisle and started using Linux (SUSE
8.1) full-time. Jen & I were active members of Cumbria LUG [2]. We
both tried several distributions (Slackware, Mandrake, Debian), but
eventually settled on Ubuntu for our desktops & laptop, although I use
Debian Sarge on my servers.

In November, I got offered a job in Congleton, which I started in
December. I'm currently living in Tunstall, and Jen will be moving
down here once we've sold our house in Carlisle. My desktop currently
has Windows 2000, because I thought it might be useful for work, but
I've decided to dual-boot with Ubuntu, because I've been getting
increasingly annoyed & frustrated at Windows. I still want to have
Windows available, but I'd much rather use Ubuntu for day-to-day use.
I'm intending to try Qemu [3], and I'm hoping it'll be fast enough to
enable me to use Windows that way instead of having to boot into
Windows.

I started the OOoMacros [4] project, I'm a moderator on OOoForum [5]
and wrote the documentation for ClamWin [6]. I don't maintain the
ClamWin documentation any more, and I've delegated most of the
OOoMacros work to someone else, since I just don't have much spare
time at the moment.

Possibly our greatest claim to fame is that we were one of the first
people to be interviewed on LUG Radio [7], after we went to one of
Microsoft's "Get The Facts" presentations. If you're interested, we
wrote about it on the Cumbria LUG web site [8]

I think I've said enough now. Hopefully we'll meet some of you at a
meeting in the new year.

Russ

[1] http://www.smoothwall.org/
[2] http://www.cumbria.lug.org.uk/