[SC.LUG] May I join you for tea and scones?

Dave Briggs linux at davebriggs.net
Thu Oct 13 09:51:39 BST 2005

Quoting Jonty <jonty at electrichamster.net>:

> First off I should probably say "Hello", as I'm a new member of the
> mailing list. I like networks, encryption, cheese and kayaking.

Hello Jonty. I am a new SC LUG person too. I recently moved to a village near
Oswestry in Shropshire, though hopefully will be getting work in Chester soon,
which will make it an ideal place for geekmeets and whatnot.

Must say I like the fact that this LUG's site makes it clear it is a group for
free software users, rather than just linux ones. Makes those of us not yet to
make the full conversion feel at home.

I don't actually run a linux box of my own yet, though I have in the past had a
dual boot with w*nd*ws and do play around with live CDs at the moment. Am
looking to buy a desktop PC soonish and have decided that will be a linux only
machine.

> I'm a university student who's home town happens to be Chester, though I
> attend university in Hull (Not as bad as it sounds, honest guv).

Indeed! I spent 3 years at Hull Uni myself. Marvellous place. Does The Tower
still do all drinks for 20p each on a Wednesday?

> So as a preemptive against a geek-free Christmas, I'm asking you now;
> What is the chance of having a LUG meet in late December/January, and
> would it be possible for it to be located in Chester itself?
> (I've been too busy coding to learn to drive :P)

That would be a nice idea - hopefully I would be based in Chester during the
week by then.

--
Dave Briggs
linux at davebriggs.net | http://davebriggs.net | http://palimpsest.org.uk