[SC.LUG] wireless card

Damian Parker damian at damosoft.co.uk
Fri Feb 3 22:20:28 GMT 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 18:22 +0000, llew wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm urgently in need of a wireless pcl card (having just spent many
> hours/days  trying to get one going) that works out of box.? on GNU/Linux.
>
> It would be good if it all so works on other  op.sys.
>
> I've got to use it for a short bit, on an old 98se/machine, which is
> going to be replace soon by a new machine/GNU/Linux(Ubuntu).
>
> I've tried the net and am somewhat confused about which chip/card!
>
> I've been trying to set up a safecom 54bps 802.11g card.
>
> Any help/advice would be appreciated.
>
> Many thanks
>
> llew
>

>From memory a lot of the 54bps + cards are still not supported,  try a
11Mbps one and you'll be connected in no time.

Ive got a 54Mb Linksys in my box, but I cannot get any life out of it
under gentoo :( so still on cable.  And I refuse to go down that
using .dll's route.

Another box has a 11Mb el-cheapo from eblag, works perfectly.

Do you know the chipset that they wireless card is using,  Your best
probing with lspci or similar as often different revisions of the same
card have different chipsets, some working, some not.

--

Damian Parker
http://www.damosoft.co.uk