[SC.LUG] Re: mini-ITX

Ewan Leith ewan at longwords.org
Mon Nov 6 20:14:38 GMT 2006

If what you want is simply a tiny little server, I can't speak highly
enough of the Linksys NSLU2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.co.uk%2FLinksys-NSLU2UK-Storage-Disk-Drives%2Fdp%2FB0002ZDQLI%2Fsr%3D1-1%2Fqid%3D1162843193%3Fie%3DUTF8%26s%3Delectronics&tag=buttonbashers-21&linkCode=ur2&camp=1634&creative=6738

it's the size of a walkman, runs debian linux once you've flashed it,
and boots off an external usb device. it's not as flexible as the itx
machines, and has nothing like the power (32mb of ram, mips
processor), but my one runs samba, lighttpd, etc, without any issues.

There's lots of information on it here

http://www.nslu2-linux.org/

you put debian on it by flashing it with a firmware file onto it's
internal memory, then it boots up off the external hard drive with a
suprisingly complete debian distribution, including the ability to
install all sorts of software using apt

if you want a mysql database server, the 32mb of ram will obviously
cause issues, but things like berkeleydb and sqlite run fine on it.
I'm using a 250GB external usb disk as it's hard drive, and use it for
storing my music, movies, etc.

amazon sell it for about £60, then you can get an external usb cabinet
and a 250GB disk for another £60 or so from them, and of course the
power usage will be much lower than even the itx machines

Ewan