[SC.LUG] Re: mini-ITX

Geoff geoff at osbaldestin.net
Tue Nov 7 08:50:34 GMT 2006

Thats pretty cool, but would restrict me to much I think.

It looks like Jetway have just realse a 2GHz version of the EDEN C7
board, which looks very interesting:
http://linitx.com/product_info.php?cPath=12_138&products_id=1184

I take it that the NSLU2 has no active cooling, so is silent apart from
any hard disk chatter from connected disks?

Geoff

Ewan Leith wrote:

> If what you want is simply a tiny little server, I can't speak highly
> enough of the Linksys NSLU2
>
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.co.uk%2FLinksys-NSLU2UK-Storage-Disk-Drives%2Fdp%2FB0002ZDQLI%2Fsr%3D1-1%2Fqid%3D1162843193%3Fie%3DUTF8%26s%3Delectronics&tag=buttonbashers-21&linkCode=ur2&camp=1634&creative=6738
>

> it's the size of a walkman, runs debian linux once you've flashed it,
> and boots off an external usb device. it's not as flexible as the itx
> machines, and has nothing like the power (32mb of ram, mips
> processor), but my one runs samba, lighttpd, etc, without any issues.
>
> There's lots of information on it here
>
> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/
>
> you put debian on it by flashing it with a firmware file onto it's
> internal memory, then it boots up off the external hard drive with a
> suprisingly complete debian distribution, including the ability to
> install all sorts of software using apt
>
> if you want a mysql database server, the 32mb of ram will obviously
> cause issues, but things like berkeleydb and sqlite run fine on it.
> I'm using a 250GB external usb disk as it's hard drive, and use it for
> storing my music, movies, etc.
>
> amazon sell it for about £60, then you can get an external usb cabinet
> and a 250GB disk for another £60 or so from them, and of course the
> power usage will be much lower than even the itx machines
>
> Ewan