[SC.LUG] Email Clients

David Holden dh at iucr.org
Tue Aug 7 23:36:30 BST 2007

On Tuesday 07 August 2007, Matthew Tolley wrote:
> After using Evolution as an email client for a month or two I'm finding
> it deeply unsatisfying. It keeps crashing, especially when I'm updating
> the Contacts (perhaps because I've got 400 of them), I'm not crazy about
> the interface and it won't load images even when I tell it to.
>
> I was considering migrating over to Thunderbird and was just wondering
> whether Thunderbird will import all the Mail and Contact data?
>
> Also, can anyone suggest a good Memo/Note/Post-it type program to use on
> Ubuntu 7.04?
>
> And a good program that will import all my Calendar entries, including
> recurring appointments? (I was curious abut Kontact, but perhaps you
> have other suggestions.).
>
> Send me your thoughts!
>

> Matthew

I've used kontact/kmail for several year now and much prefer it to evolution.
Not least because it does not use a non standard mail folder format, i.e. put
an mbox file in your Mail directory and it will display it as a folder in
your client.

Thunderbird always seems to get good review. Although I've had problems using
it for its secure pop/imap but I may have just been unlucky.

Tomboy is very nice although its mono which puts me off somewhat.

--
Dr. David Holden.

See: <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html>
regarding Word or PowerPoint. GPG key available on request.