[SC.LUG] Email Clients

Simon Ward simon at bleah.co.uk
Wed Aug 8 00:22:07 BST 2007

On Tue, Aug 07, 2007 at 11:36:13PM +0100, David Holden wrote:

> I've used kontact/kmail for several year now and much prefer it to evolution.
> Not least because it does not use a non standard mail folder format, i.e. put
> an mbox file in your Mail directory and it will display it as a folder in
> your client.

That’s always nice. Evolution reads local mbox files to, and I liked
that. It meant I could easily use procmail filters, and also use
whichever of the local mailbox supporting MUAo took my fancy at the
time.

> Thunderbird always seems to get good review. Although I've had problems using
> it for its secure pop/imap but I may have just been unlucky.

IMAP is complex, hard to implement correctly, and every mailer gets
something wrong, or does something differently to the rest.
Thunderbird’s implementation is by far the best out of those I’ve used
recently. The support in kmail resulted in lost mail (though until a few
months ago Thunderbird had an annoying habit of losing mail during
filtering). Evolution just had trouble with connecting to an IMAP server
with TLS support. I prefer to use offlineimap to synchronise to local
maildirs—it’s a tool created specifically for working with IMAP, and
does it fairly well.

Simon
simple system that works.
    — John Gaule