[SC.LUG] GUIs

jen.phillips2 at pop.ntlworld.com jen.phillips2 at pop.ntlworld.com
Tue Sep 11 13:22:34 BST 2007

> That sounds like I get less features. What would I lose in Xfce
> (assuming I installed the Gnome and KDE libraries?).

Yep, XFCE has less features, but I'm quite sure most people don't use the
vast majority of bells and whistles weighty things like Gnome and KDE have
anyway. It comes down to whether the "missing" features are ones you want.
The problems I've noticed include:

1) The default file manager is pants. Really, really pants. There are other
options available if you find it an issue.

2) I seem to recall you can't click on the clock to bring up a calendar
like you can in most full blown desktop environments.

3) The virtual desktop selector doesn't make it obvious which of the
default four you're on. I've accidentally caught the touchpad, flicked to a
different desktop and been left wondering what the hell just happened! Only
a really minor thing, but irritating when it seems as though everything you
were working on has just disappeared.

4) Things are in different places from the arrangement I'm used to under
Gnome, so it sometimes takes time to find things I'm looking for. It's not
necessarily a worse arrangement, just different.

5) erm... actually, I can't think of any other irritations that are to do
with XFCE rather than the fact the laptop itself is old and slow.

I think it's worth giving it a go, given all you have to do is install the
xubuntu-desktop package (and dependencies).

Hugs,

Jen