[SC.LUG] Eco Computing

Roger Gibson rcgibson at talktalk.net
Tue Aug 3 11:41:34 UTC 2010

While agreeing with everything below, one comment I would make is that
from experience of heavy number crunching with vast sparse matrix
manipulations etc, the same Fortran programme executes in a
significantly shorter time with a Linux based OS compared with MS.  This
may be just that my Linux Fortran compiler is better, but it does seem
to indicate that the CPU is allowed to operate more efficiently.  So
while the CPU is probably using the same instantaneous power when fully
stretched, doing a total calculation in a shorter time means less energy
has been used with a Linux system.

Maybe a heavy games player can tell us whether a given 'game' hits the
buffers sooner in MS compared to Linux.  Roger.