[sclug] a couple of Mutt questions

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Fri Dec 12 10:24:03 UTC 2003

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 10:07:46AM +0000, Simon Heywood wrote:
> As you may know, I've been learning about Mutt recently. Using bits
> nabbed from t'other Simon's config. file

Hello!

> (i) Since adding `sclug' to the list of mailing lists that Mutt is
> aware of, the list reply functions work, but in the index view all
> messages to the list are displayed as `To sclug at sclug.org.uk' or `Cc
> sclug at sclug.org.uk' rather than as the contents of the `From:' line.
> Is there a reason for this? And is it trivial to reverse the change
> while maintaining the mailing list capability.

I'm not sure what the reason is.  I guess if you don't procmail it means
that you see the list address in your inbox and you know it's a list
post.  That might be it I guess.

I source my maillist config whenever I switch to a mail list folder
which does:
set hdr_format="%4C %Z %{%b %d} %-15.15n (%4l) %s"
set sort=threads

The default is: "%4C %Z %{%b %d} %-15.15L (%4l) %s"

Actually looking at muttrc(5) looks like this might be index_format.
Maybe hdr_format is deprecated.

Anyway the only difference is the L versus n.

%L gives you the list name if it's a list, %n gives you from From name.
You might prefer %F which is the From unless it's from you in which case
it's the recipient.

> (ii) I've previously used Pine to read e-mail, which has a feature
> allowing you to tab through all incoming mail folders until you reach
> the next message marked as new. Does Mutt have anything similar?

Yeah just hit c in the default keymap and then tab away to your hearts
content.

Oh that's not quite what you mean is it.  If you mapped a key something
like:
macro pager <tab> <change-folder><enter>

does that do what you want?

cf the manual for what macro does.

Simon.

--
[ "And what have they ever given us in return?"   "The aqueduct?"      ]
        Black Cat Networks.  http://www.blackcatnetworks.co.uk/