[sclug] [OT] Solaris vs. Linux

Will Dickson wrd at glaurung.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 18 19:18:49 UTC 2004

In case anyone's interested:

I recently acquired an old SPARC (thanks, Alan P :-) and
after some teething troubles (it turned out the CDROM was
broken, which was a problem since it was SCSI; bowever, by a
wierd coincidence my company had one of those lurking in a
junk pile, which worked). After a looooong install process
I've got Solaris 9 on it.

Now, it's not an entirely fair test (the SPARC is hugely
less powerful than my x86 box, and Sol 9 has very recently
been replaced by Sol 10) but if the Solaris desktop guys
aren't scared of penguins, they ought to be. (Solaris may
well still be better on big iron OTOH.)

Oh yeah, and Sun? Giving me Solaris on the grounds that I'm
a developer is a cool thing to do, and displays an
insightful enlightened self-interest. But then trying to
sting me for $995 (!!?!) for the C compiler so that I can
actually *do* some development... isn't. And doesn't. And
since there's this little thing called GCC, I'm afraid your
scam isn't going to work, either. Nice try.

Will.