[sclug] Creative Commons project needs PHP coders

Tom Chance lists at tomchance.org.uk
Tue Oct 12 21:46:17 UTC 2004

Ahoy there,

I'm leading a Creative Commons project based in Reading. It's called "Remix
Reading", and you can learn all about it on our web site:

http://remixreading.org

Basically, we're putting together a web site that will carry people's work (be
it audio, image, text or video), and allow them to link their work to others
so that they can show their work is a remix of an existing piece. We're also
going to be promoting Free Software, both by setting up public systems
running Linux for people to use, distributing Linux livecds and CDs with Free
Software for MS Windows, and just using the web site to promote the fuzzy
warm feeling of freedom :)

We have loads of local artists excited about the project, and a lot of work
ready to go online; we have a professional press officer; we have ibiblio
hosting it for free; we have a professional graphics artist designing the web
site; we have a team with experience in running major campaigns, working with
Free Software projects (e.g. I do work with KDE and the AFFS), putting on
sizeable gigs around Reading, and more.

But we lack programmers. Well, we have one extremely good code monkey and
myself (but I'm more of a Python and Perl person with little time).

So, if you know PHP, please respond! The web site is based upon Drupal if you
know of that (our code monkey is one of the core programmers for it). We have
small quick tasks that you can do, as well as harder, larger tasks (like good
file handling, for example). We're also open to cool ideas you might have.

Anyway, I hope to hear from someone :) If you can't code in PHP, please ask
everyone you know who might.

Regards,
Tom