[sclug] Display graphical desktop session of remote machine?

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Mon Apr 25 23:04:18 UTC 2005

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, John Stumbles wrote:

> Alex Butcher wrote:
>> On Sun, 24 Apr 2005, John Stumbles wrote:
>
>>> Alternatively it might be OK (maybe even better) if I could run a gdm
>>> session from the other machine within a window on my kde session on this
>>> one (as I have done in the past with some X servers or a VNC client
>>> running on a windoze box connected to *n*x machines).
>>

>> Look into Xnest, which is an X server that runs as an X client (i.e.
>> application) under an existing X session.
>
> Any idea how I can drive it from the other machine?
>
> Xnest :2
> 	on the local (SuSE) box brings up a blank X window, and
> xterm -display :2
> 	or
> xterm -display local-machine:2
> 	on the local machine brings up an xterm within the Xnest window.
> However the Xterm doesn't have a title bar and I can't type into it - just
> get beeps from the kbd - though ^D does terminate it).

Works here, but I needed to start Xnest with the -ac parameter to disable
access control in order to allow clients to connect to DISPLAY=:2.

> Now I want to start up another desktop graphical session on the remote
> (ubuntu) machine and get it to display in the Xnest window, but I can't see
> how to do that - ?

Tell the Ubuntu machines' <x|k|g>dm to use xdmcp to control the Xnest server
on x.x.x.x:2, AFAICS.

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?