[sclug] RE: Newbie, partitioning 120Gb HDD - recommendations?

Douglas Brown Douglas.Brown at uk.com
Fri Jan 14 21:52:12 UTC 2005

On Thursday, January 13, 2005 11:08 PM, Douglas Brown
[SMTP:Douglas.Brown at uk.com] wrote:
> Greetings all, (I introduced myself in another posting)
>
> After building my own PC's & using M$ stuff since the 80's I am now
trying to set up a SUSE 9 system at home on a blank 120Gb hard disk. (I got
seduced by a Knoppix boot CD)  This disk will be dedicated to one Linux, so
no multi-boot complications.

> Can anyone point me in the right direction for info on partitioning a
huge HDD? I have on the web sites for HantsLUG, SLUG, and SCLUG, and I have
googled, all in vain. All the info I've found to date assumes a disk of no
more than about 20Gb; beyond that it's "trust Yast". Um, has anyone
actually tried that? For me Yast suggested setting up partitions as follows
> * 60 Gb root
> * 10Mb Swap
> * 60 Gb something else (/home? /usr? I forget)
>
> Now 60Gb just for root seems (& correct me if I wrong) rather ridiculous,
so I abandoned that. So now I am looking for recommendations on how to
split this disk up. Yes I know, "it's horses for courses". So here's the
shape of my course ...

> I intend to use this system as my serious workhorse : email, browsing, WP
& other office apps, DTP, image editing, web authoring, plus some small
scale scripting (initially TCL), midi music & sequencing. Mega amounts of
space needed for photos. Lots of space needed for apps (I expect to be
using this system for a *long* while). I also like the idea of many
separate partitions as a damage limitation measure against viruses & other
attacks.

> Now here's the killer. I need to get going quickly (deadlines coming up).
Can anyone think of any sources of information or guide lines?

> MTIA -- Douglas Brown
>
> PS - Sorry, but due to time pressure, I have to cast my net wide and have
posted on all 3 LUG lists. If that offends, please accept my apologies.