[sclug] Problem with postfix & maildrop

Keith Edmunds keith at midnighthax.com
Sat Jun 4 08:56:56 UTC 2005

Darren Davison wrote:
> the location of the aliases file is determined in /etc/postfix/main.cf
> Mine is /etc/mail/aliases but I think this may be gentoo specific rather
> than a postfix default.

That's certainly an unusual place: usually it is /etc/postfix/aliases or
/etc/aliases

> darren at bacall darren $ grep ^alias_database /etc/postfix/main.cf
> alias_database = hash:/etc/mail/aliases

That's not strictly correct, although it often will give the correct
answer. alias_database points to the binary form of the database,
normally generated by the 'newaliases' command. The file pointed to by
'alias_maps' is the input to that command, and is the file that should
be edited.

A better way of determining precisely which file to edit is to do the
following as root:

# postconf -d | grep alias_maps

--
Keith Edmunds