[sclug] MP3 player

Paul Cairney lists at cairney.me.uk
Sat Mar 19 00:08:18 UTC 2005

I cba to google the model numbers to find out the specs for the model
you are interested in, but can give my experiences with two mates who
have iRivers's; namely the H120 monochrome lcd 20GB and H340 40GB colour
versions. both work perfectly with usb-storage modules under 2.4.* here.
cba with bleeding edge so cant speak for 2.6.* compatibility but its
highly unlikely differ. Having google'd when offering my opinion on the
mate's potential purchase of the H340 i came across the sf.net page
mentioned and think it was for the flash based players only.

The H340 is pretty nice for what i have seen of my mates, usb host is
very useful thou usb2 host would be even better. If you have had yours a
while without upgrading the firmware check out their site as my mate was
pleasantly surprised to find new firmware a couple of weeks after his
purchase which introduced video playback functionality. Getting
transcode to work under Slackware (I managed to convert him a couple of
years ago) was a major pita as you have to re-encode the video's to the
native res of the iRiver's screen (or below as it can only scale up I
believe). Video playback seemed acceptable but watching video's on a 2"
screen isnt really something i would find useful.

Regards

Paul