[sclug] Getting my new IDE card to work.

Will Dickson wrd at glaurung.demon.co.uk
Sat Apr 1 11:59:08 UTC 2006

Neil Haughton wrote:
> Not quite there yet with my extra optical drive.....
>
>  >>Hang the cost ;-) I'm going to put in another 2xIDE card, and run the
> HDDs each as masters on IDE0 and IDE1, and the optical drives as masters
> on the two new channels. I trust Linux will be happy with this arrangement?
>
> Well I did that today, and moved my DVD drive to the extra primary
> channel (which I presume is IDE2), changed the jumper to master. The
> problem is that I cannot access the drive - /mnt/cdrom now shows itself
> as an empty folder. Do I have to change my fstab in some way? If so, what?

I'd expect the new offboard channels to be /dev/hd{e,f,g,h} - pri
master, pri slave, sec master, sec slave. So your /etc/fstab entry for
the DVD drive should be referencing /dev/hde.

BTW, this solution sounds as though it'll give you an awful lot of
wiring in your box! If you're not using the whizzy
circular-cross-section IDE cables, you may need to think about airflow.

HTH

Will.