[sclug] veeeerrrrryyyy looooong delay booting (initrd)

Will Dickson wrd at glaurung.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 13 12:37:52 UTC 2006

John Stumbles wrote:

> SATA == Serial ATA? So do you have a small cable with a few conductors
> connecting them instead of a 40 (or 80) way ribbon?

Yes, and yes. One cable per drive rather than the shared IDE cable. It's
a lot easier to monoeuvre, although the connectors seem a bit flimsy.
I'd be even more in favour if they hadn't decided to reinvent the power
connector at the same time - the SATA power connector looks like a
minaturised version of the IDE data connector, in the same way that the
SATA data connector looks like a minaturised version of the IDE power
connector. It requires some mental gear changing!

Will.