[sclug] installing Debian on HP Proliant ML110 G3

Rachel linux at rachelandrew.co.uk
Sat Aug 19 16:29:47 UTC 2006

Hi

I have an HP Proliant ML110 G3 which I am trying to install Debian
on. It's to run as a dev/file server.

I intended to install Sarge on it however the installer fails at the
point of partitioning the disk as it can't find the hard drive -
assuming this is because of SATA. I was installing using a 2.6 kernel
as I have had success in getting SATA machines running Sarge that way
before but that didn't help this time.

So, I grabbed the latest version of the Etch netinstall which
detected the disk fine and installed the base system.

I have now attempted to install apache 1.3 - the 'apache' package
(via apt) and installation fails with:

dpkg: error processing apache (--configure)
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 10
Errors were encountered while processing:apache

However I have discovered that apache2 (which I don't want) IS
installed despite the fact I didn't select this during installation.
If I try to remove apache2 apt tells me it is not installed - it is,
I can start and stop it and browse to localhost using Lynx.

I have searched on this but haven't found anything helpful. To be
honest I would prefer to have Sarge running on it to Etch, but
getting the thing running is my main concern, and I would rather keep
Debian than go to Fedora.

Thanks in advance for any ideas :)

--
Rachel