[sclug] create DVD/VCD from multiple .AVI files?

John Stumbles john at stumbles.org.uk
Sun Dec 17 18:49:03 UTC 2006

I want to get some stuff from DV camcorder onto shiny round things. I'm
using dvgrab to automatically split up the DV tape into separate takes,
so I have a number of .AVI files which I now want to convert to DVD or
VCD format. ffmpeg would seem the business but it doesn't seems to know
how to take input from a set of files in this way. Options therefore
seem to be (a) merge the AVIs, or (b) merge the output files.

avimerge (from transcode) segfaults :-( (Kubuntu 6.01 / AMD64) and I
haven't found anything that'll merge mpegs.

If I'm making a dvd I guess I should be able to specify multiple files
in <vob file="filename" ...> in dvdauthor's control file but
man:dvdauthor is silent on how to do that too <sigh!>

Am I missing something obvious and (hopefully) easy?

Or do I need to take a couple of weeks out to find out how to drive
mencoder or transcode, if indeed either of these beasts can do the job?

--
John Stumbles