[sclug] Logitech wireless keyboard and gnome problems

Roland Turner SCLUG raz.fpyht.bet.hx at raz.cx
Mon Jan 9 19:32:46 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 15:03 +0100, pieter claassen wrote:

>         I am trying to get the REAL pipe/backslash char working on my
>         logitech
>         wireless keyboard (next to left shift key) but what I get
>         instead are <>
>         chars and the following dmesg.
>
>         [4686370.062000] atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set
>         2, code
>         0xaa on isa0060/serio0).
>         [4686370.062000] atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e02a <keycode>' to
>         make it
>         known.

If you're only seeing an "Unknown key released" message, without a
preceeding message for the key going down, then your problem is in the
"difficult to understand" category. Possibilities range from busted
firmware in the keyboard to a simple type in a keyboard model definition
(or its console equivalent) somewhere.

David has already asked you the big problem-space-reducing question (X
only, console only, or both?), I have some detail questions for you:

- Are you only seeing "Unknown key released" messages?

- Your email suggests that you're getting '<' and '>' from this key; are
you getting these _as_well_as_ the error messages, or do they occur at
different times?

>         I am sure there is hard way to do this (Ubuntu Breezy) but I am
>         looking
>         for the easy way.
>
>         At some stage, I could swear it was working fine by selecting a
>         logitech
>         wireless desktop keyboard from the gnome keyboard layout
>         selector.

Presumably you selected that from the model selector, not the layout
selector (yes, the UI doesn't make terribly clear that these are two
completely different things).

- Are you certain that you've selected the _same_ Logitech wireless
(actually "Cordless" I think) model? There are a number (and one iTouch
Cordless model that appears further down than the rest), have you tried
a few others?

- Raz