[sclug] Place(s) to Live

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Wed Jul 19 09:24:43 UTC 2006

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006, Gareth Llewellyn wrote:

> I was wondering if anybody knew of / had a room to rent in the Reading
> (preferably the city itself) area (I can't drive so need the trains!).

Reading's still a town, not a city. :-)

For houseshare/rooms to let, check out the yellow freeads paper which comes
out on Wednesdays, IIRC. I think it used to be called Diamond Freeads, but
it now seems to be known as AdTrader.

> Finding people to rent with who are interested in IT / in the IT industry
> seems to be quite difficult despite this being 'Silicon Corridor'. I mean
> only one person so far has comprehended my "chown -R us /base/" t-shirt

No-one at your place of work interested?

Also, in my time in Reading, I grew to find it as nothing more than a
sales/support base for large internationals. Much of the actual technical
effort happened elsewhere; California, Texas, Israel, etc. My own hometown
of Bristol, and places like Cambridge seem to have more of a genuine geek
population.

> Thanks
> Gareth Llewellyn

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher, Bristol UK.                           PGP/GnuPG ID:0x5010dbff

"[T]he whole point about the reason why I think it is important we go for
identity cards and an identity database today is that identity fraud and
abuse is a major, major problem. Now the civil liberties aspect of it, look
it is a view, I don't personally think it matters very much."
  - Tony Blair, 6 June 2006 <http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page9566.asp>