[sclug] sclug Digest, Vol 59, Issue 3

n.a.haughton@bigfoot.com haughtonomous at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 6 12:14:08 UTC 2008

>  What is actually happening is - nothing. The client browser is sending the
>> request to the Ubuntu machine, but no response is coming back.  I have set
>> Pound to listen on the IP address of the Ubuntu machine, port 80 - does
>> anyone know if this is what I am meant to do?
>>

> Sounds about right. I'd get a copy of Wireshark running on your client
> machine and the Ubuntu machine and see what each sees. My guess is that
> you've got a firewall on the Ubuntu host that's preventing connections
> being
> established to Pound on port 80.
>
>  Neil
>>

> HTH,
> Alex.
> --
> Alex Butcher, Bristol UK.                           PGP/GnuPG ID:0x5010dbff

Actually turned out to be simpler than that - when Ubuntu was installed a
user account was created called 'administrator', and I had been fooled into
assuming it was a privileged user and had configured Pound to run under that
account. This was causing Pound to exit as soon as it started with a bind
error, so that explains why it wasn't listening..Doh! I changed the config
(temporarily) to run as 'root' and that is that problem solved. It now seems
to be listening and passing requests to my backend server, al though as yet
I am not getting the response in the client prowser. More work to be
done....

There's no firewall on the Ubuntu server or the XP backend server, btw. I've
checked, and I am only using port 80 anyway.

Neil