[sclug] Mailing List without the Emailing

J.Mann jon at spinis-associates.co.uk
Sat Jun 14 10:14:01 UTC 2008

> I would like bobs email to be retained / recorded for future reference with
> a web GUI (indexed) in the same manner as you see for online mailing lists
> GUI's.

If you control the email/list server, the simplest solution is to enable
HTML archiving there. Most email/list servers provide an archiving
feature. For example, I use Mailman (with Exim) to host several mailing
lists

  http://www.list.org/

Mailman has an HTML archive feature, which I use to publish my lists
on the web (with Apache). Adding/Removing mailing lists with archiving
is trivial.

If you don't control the email/list server, you could use Hypermail:

  http://www.hypermail-project.org/

Hypermail generates an HTML archive from an email MBOX.

You would need to populate an MBOX with list emails, by subscribing an
email account to the mailing list.  You would then (periodically) run
Hypermail on the MBOX, to generate an HTML archive. Apache can then be
used to publish the HTML archive on the web.

Unless you want to script this process, you will need to manually
repeat it when you create/remove mailing lists.

Some alternatives to Hypermail include:

  http://www.mhonarc.org/
  http://eyebrowse.tigris.org/

Best regards,