[sclug] OT: Social question

Neil Brown neil at neilzone.co.uk
Sun May 31 19:04:12 UTC 2009

I've had absolutely no problem making female friends - most of my
friends are female, I'd guess - but, finding someone I wanted as a
girlfriend was much harder. However, since Newbury is a small place, and
I wanted to avoid going down the line of a relationship with anyone in
the same company, my options were limited... I make a lot of friends
online, and often meet up with people who I first met online (SCLUG
being an example), and, for me, it's this combination which has worked
best- a chance to really chat to people and find out about them, prior
to meeting them.

As it happened, I met up with a girl, having chatted and got on well
online, and we came away from the date each thinking "Phew-  I won't
have to see her again" - online / at-a-distance impressions can be wrong.

Or, perhaps not, since, having continued to chat to each other online
afterwards, we realised that we really did get on with each other, and
that the first date had just not worked out... We met up again,
immediately clicked that time, and we're still together, and very
happily so.

Local is better, though - the previous attempt (met through a Linux
forum!) was in the US, and the first meeting was in Canada. That was
less successful, although, I did have a great few days in Toronto, even
if it was seeing sights on my own during the more fraught patches. I did
manage to fix all the issues on her netbook, though, so, not a complete
failure!

hth

Neil