[sclug] NAS

Neil Haughton haughtonomous at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 3 13:46:12 UTC 2011

Has anyone built themselves a low-power NAS?

I need to make my burgeoning collection of photos and music files (and
other things) more resilient than at present (currently it is all on a
single SATA drive).  I have looked at commercial NAS offerings but frankly
?150 upwards is a little steep for me, so I want to see if I can build one
for somewhat less. Just two mirrored drives would do me, FreeNAS probably
as the OS (unless there are other Linuxy recommendations), and an Ethernet
port so it can plug into my router. Must be able to reuse my current SATA
drive, and must be able to stay on for long periods without burning up my
paltry salary so a low power processor essential.

And I must be able to fit and forget.

 If you've built something that meets the above I would be interested (for
starters) in the parts list so I can cost it.

TIA

Neil.