[Scottish] HTML templating software?

Robert(Rob) M. Schneider scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Dec 3 11:21:01 2002

Well, like I said ... if one wants to program, then there are many
programming languages (perl, php, python, etc.) and libraries. Feel free.  Go
for it.

But if one doesn't want to rely on programming and instead do web site
authoring/management and focus on content--especially when content doesn't
have to be "dynamic" with service side includes, java, javascript, ASP, or
whatever, then keep it simple.

With a tool like FrontPage (and I look forward to finding one in the Linux
world someday), the web developer/author can:

- Cut and paste content from page to page, and all URL's are updated, even
relative ones.
- can do large or small reorganisations of web site ... moveing pages around
the folder structure, and URL's are updated.
- numerous tools for supporting the authoring/web mangaement process
- basic native capabilities for using pre-built templates or (preferred) your
own templates.

I use FP on a number of web sites that I either manage or actively working
on, ranging in size from a dozen pages up to one that has passed the 10,000
page mark (long term web site for a large project).

FP is not just a pretty graphical interface... it's a very functional and
powerful one (by the way, like many of the better tools out of Microsoft, it
was developed by others and MS bought it ... c. 1995-96 as I recall).