[Scottish] HTML templating software?

David Marsh's list-reading hat scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Dec 3 13:42:01 2002

On Tue, 3 Dec 2002 11:11:22 +0000
"Robert(Rob) M. Schneider" <rmschne@rmschneider.com> wrote:

> Well, like I said ... if one wants to program, then there are many
> programming languages (perl, php, python, etc.) and libraries. Feel
> free.  Go for it.

For me, it's a time issue. My perl is basic (at present) and by rights I
have other priorities right now (like looking for a new job, although
that's one reason I'd at least like the part of my website with my CV to
look nice ;-)

Hence looking for something pre-rolled, if possible..

> With a tool like FrontPage (and I look forward to finding one in the
> Linux world someday), the web developer/author can:

Quanta Plus <http://quanta.sf.net/> apparently has a templating feature
now, but I haven't figured it out yet.

> - Cut and paste content from page to page, and all URL's are updated,
> even relative ones.
> - can do large or small reorganisations of web site ... moveing pages
> around the folder structure, and URL's are updated.

Yes, these would be neat features.

Some of the tools I have investigated do have the feature to store
references for URIs so that you can maintain a list of URIs so that if
an URI changes you need only change the reference and then the value is
substituted next time you rebuild the site.

wpp <http://the.sunnyspot.org/wpp/> seems to have the facility to
magically convert 'hardcoded' URLs from the site root into relative URIs
when creating pages, but I had difficulties in setting it up to work
with subdirectories (probably me trying to do too many things in a rush,
though)

> FP is not just a pretty graphical interface... it's a very functional
> and powerful one (by the way, like many of the better tools out of
> Microsoft, it was developed by others and MS bought it ... c. 1995-96
> as I recall).

But like a lot of M$ stuff, is it not a case of 'nice idea, bad
implementation'? I seem to recall FP being known for producing
pseudo-HTML that tended to only 'work' in IE. And does it produce (at
least reasonably) valid HTML/XHTML?

--
David Marsh, <email in header is valid>  | http://web.viewport.co.uk/