[Scottish] Procmail problem ("Couldn't create "/var/spool/mail/sjm217")

scottish@mailman.lug.org.uk scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Oct 18 12:51:01 2002

Martin,

> That looks OK.  I'm not familiar with MH so can't comment on how you're
> using rcvstore.

All that is important for these purposes is that a mail piped to "rcvstore +ntlworld" is put in the ntlworld folder. This part works fine so it not an issue.

Mail is being delivered to the correct place, but the error message about /var/... makes my cron job think it has failed.

> What I would do is put
>  VERBOSE=1
> at the top of .procmailrc so that you get more verbose reporting of what
> is going on.

I get:
---
procmail: Couldn't create "/var/spool/mail/sjm217"
procmail: [5319] Fri Oct 18 12:46:57 2002
procmail: Locking "ntlworld.lock"
procmail: Executing "/usr/opt/nmh/lib/rcvstore,+ntlworld"
procmail: Assigning "LASTFOLDER=/usr/opt/nmh/lib/rcvstore +ntlworld"
procmail: Unlocking "ntlworld.lock"
procmail: Notified comsat: "sjm217@:/usr/opt/nmh/lib/rcvstore +ntlworld"
 Subject: test
  Folder: /usr/opt/nmh/lib/rcvstore +ntlworld                              1485
---

> Are the permissions on your .procmailrc and home directory sufficiently
> tight?  Procmail will refuse to use your rc file if it doesn't look
> secure!

Permissions are more than paranoid enough, and my .procmailrc file is being read, however judging from the above output it looks like the problem is hit before my .procmailrc is read.

Thank you,
Steven Murdoch.